German WW2 Fob Watch

BEB9

German WW2 Fob Watch

Postby BEB9 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:12 pm

Hi everyone,

This is the only watch I have in my collection, but I really like it. I don't really know much about it. It appears to have been a personal watch, not a military issue one. Movado watches appear are still made today. They are a Swiss watch company, founded in 1881. I also have a watch fob for it (not original to the piece, bought separately).

Cheers
N
:smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Re: German WW2 Fob Watch

Postby Dave_Holden » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:15 am

This is a great little item Nicole. I believe its a Christmas present (1939) to a member of the Wehrmacht 7th Infantry Division - the owners initials I am guessing were "ML". Below courtesy of Wikipedia is a condensed history of the regiment:

The 7th Infantry Division (7. Infanterie-Division) was a formation of the German Wehrmacht during World War II. It was formed 1 October 1934 in Munich from the Artillerieführer VII staff and renamed 7. Infanterie-Division with the disclosure of German rearmament on 15 October 1935. In preparation of the Invasion of Poland, the division was transferred to Slovak Republik on 1 August 1939. The division surrendered to Soviet forces near Stutthof after the unconditional surrender of 8 May 1945.

The 7th infantry division was sent to Slowakia on August 1, 1939, where it was mobilized on August 26. From September 1, 1939, the division took part in the Polish campaign. After advancing to the Jablunka pass and the Zwardoń saddle, it pursued Polish troops over the Dunajec and participated in the taking of Przemyśl.

Upon conclusion of the Polish campaign, the 7th infantry division was transferred to the western border of the German Reich. From there it took part in the Western campaign and on May 10, 1940 attacked through Löwen and Tournai in the Schelde sector, where it participated in the battle on the Schelde. Afterwards, the 7th infantry division crossed the Lys and took part in the fighting around Lille. Following the truce in June, the division remained stationed in northern France as an occupation troop.

In April, 1941, the 7th infantry division was transferred to the Generalgouvernement (Poland) to get ready for Operation Barbarossa. The division took part in the surprise attack on the Soviet Union from June 22, 1941, advancing past Bialystok to Minsk, then to Mogilev and Roslavl. The 7th infantry division took part in the battle of encirclement and annihilation at Smolensk, advanced over the Nara and participated in the battle of Moscow, during which the German offensive came to a halt about 60 kilometers west of Moscow due to the contrary weather conditions. Following the start of the Soviet counter-offensive on December 5, 1941, the division fought in the Shelkovka-Dorokhovo sector.

Early in 1942 the withdrawal to the Nara and the Gshatsk position occurred.

In 1943, the 7th infantry division fought in the Orel salient and retreated over the Desna and the Dnieper to Gomel.

Later, in early 1944 there was the retreat past the Pripyat swamps through Pinsk and Bielsk to the Bug, with the division fighting between the Bug and the Narew in the following weeks and months.

Afterwards, in 1945, following combat at Włodawa-Węgrów and Castenburg [?] between the Narew and the lower Vistula, it had to retreat, still fighting, past Ciechanów, Toruń, and Grudziądz to Gdansk. After the last defensive combat around the Vistula bridgehead, the division capitulated in the Sztutowo-Stegna sector.

For me the only confusion is why it has the SS runes, I cannot find a connection here. With the sunburst design, I find it strange that they have been engraved on top - I feel the runes and leaves were added later so as to make the watch more desirable.

Regardless of my opinion on the runes, this is still a great item and could well have been carried by a member of the division, throughout the war.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Dave :thumbsup:

BEB9

Postby BEB9 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:10 pm

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for the detailed and interesting reply. However as I stated in my original post, the fob chain and the watch are two completely separate and unconnected pieces. I bought the watch on its own first, and then for no other reason apart from I thought a fob watch should have a matching fob chain, and the opportunity arose for me to buy one, I bought the fob chain.

So the original owner of the watch had absolutely no connection to the 7th Infantry Division (as far as I know). I just thought the two pieces would look nice in my collecting cabinet. Sorry if this caused any confusion.

Cheers

N
:smile:

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:07 pm

Hi Nicole - then in fact this might make the runes authentic to the watch. Whichever a very nice item to have in your collection. If you do a search on this on google, you will find other watches with similar markings to yours excluding the initials. I have no doubts this watch and fob (although separate), are from the TR period. :thumbsup:

Ian Hulley

Postby Ian Hulley » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:04 pm

Sorry but as a cynical old bugger I wouldn't touch that watch .... added runes and the wreath and swastika are an embellishment in my opinion.

Ian

PHILBROWN

Postby PHILBROWN » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:24 pm

Ian Hulley wrote:Sorry but as a cynical old bugger I wouldn't touch that watch .... added runes and the wreath and swastika are an embellishment in my opinion.

Ian

agree totally,and poorly done,sorry

BEB9

Postby BEB9 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:10 pm

Thank you for your contributions.

Cheers

N
:)

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:58 pm

I've got to be honest, I quite like this watch.

While it mightn't be 100% genuine, it's still quite attractive..