QUESTION - Is this poster genuine?

doug6zj9

QUESTION - Is this poster genuine?

Postby doug6zj9 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:09 am

To my eye it looks like a reproduction... but I would love to be proven wrong, :wink:

reichswettkampf.jpg

reichswettkampf2.jpg

reichswettkampf 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

muckaroon1960

Re: QUESTION - Is this poster genuine?

Postby muckaroon1960 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:05 am

Difficult one this....the paper itself will be different with a repro being shinier and smoother. Also it should smell old as in musty and not that new print and ink smell but without seeing it in the flesh hard to tell? It all depends on the printing process at the time of issue. Here are some dates on printing I've found: Dot matrix printing: 1925, Inkjet printing: 1950, Laser printing: 1969, Solid ink printing: 1987.
Use a magnifying glass to see what the printing looks like and compare if possible.

I have a George Barbier print from 1928 but no idea if its original or more recent. :thumbsup:

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Re: QUESTION - Is this poster genuine?

Postby Dave_Holden » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:03 pm

Well Doug Paul has covered most on this subject. For me smell is really important and very difficult to fake. Posters fade in daylight, so this if genuine must have been kept for a long time away from open light. Looks very new to me but difficult to really pass a firm opinion unless seen in the flesh.