"Germania" - Please educate me?

Moderator: Dave_Holden

doug6zj9

"Germania" - Please educate me?

Postby doug6zj9 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:09 am

OK... this is probably(?) not third reich(?)... and it is not exactly "militaria"... but let's give it a whirl anyway. :grin:

The seller claims it is a 19the century "black forest" carving. It seems to be unsigned. I am not at all savvy with works of art. Would this be hand-carved? or could it be factory/machine carved?

germania.jpg

germania 2.jpg

germania 3.jpg

germania 4.jpg

germania 5.jpg

germania 6.jpg

germania 7.jpg

germania 8.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Re: "Germania" - Please educate me?

Postby Dave_Holden » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:45 am

Hi Doug.

For me I think this could well be hand-carved. The main body of it where the dimples have been made are pretty irregular, machined would be uniform. I cannot tell from the pictures, but is it one solid piece or has the carving of the lady warrior been added on top. Have a close look and with age there will be a certain amount of warping and you will see a gap if it's there. The 2 headed Eagle represents empire as you may know. This Eagle was not exclusive to Germany as it can be seen on coats of arms of Hungary, Austria, Austro-Hungarian empire, Serbia, Albania, Montenegro, Russia and others. I see nothing apart the oak leaves that point it directly to Germany or Bavarian. Looks a nice quality piece but as said not necessary German. Can I ask why the seller states this is German and from Bavaria? This would be a good question to put to him, as its easy to label a piece but needs the evidence to back it up.

Interesting post for sure.

Cheers

Dave.

doug6zj9

Postby doug6zj9 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:05 am

Well... the seller stopped responding to me after I asked why did he call it "Germania"... LOL :lol:

Now I think I have figured out why. He had posted an image on his listing that failed to link up on my page view. The image was probably similar to that below. Apparently this carving is a copy, or rendering, or "in the manner of", of an original painting. :-?

Germania on the Watch on the River Rhine - Lorenz Clase -1860

germania orig.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andyb

Postby Andyb » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:10 pm

It’s still nice piece Doug, no matter if it’s machine or hand carved , real or fake :thumbsup: