Krupp Steel Works Essen, Germany.

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Krupp Steel Works Essen, Germany.

Postby Dave_Holden » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:56 am

Out and about today on my bike trying to get a little fitter after the Christmas break. There are fantastic cycle roots here in Essen most are built where old railway lines used to exist linking the massive steel works and the coal mine areas - 450 klms in all of car free bike tracks, really great! Part of the route goes through the area where the Krupp Steel Works used to be. A bit of history below of the Krupp family courtesy of wiki:

The Krupp family, a prominent 400-year-old German dynasty from Essen, is famous for their production of steel, artillery, ammunition and other armaments. The family business, known as Friedrich Krupp AG (Friedrich Krupp AG Hoesch-Krupp between 1991 (after acquiring Hoesch AG) and 1999), was the largest company in Europe at the beginning of the 20th century, and was important to weapons development and production in both world wars. One of the most powerful dynasties in European history, Krupp flourished for 400 years as the premier weapons manufacturer of Germany. From the Thirty Years' War until the end of the Second World War, it produced battleships, U-boats, tanks, howitzers, guns, utilities, and hundreds of other commodities.

A little more..........................

The company also produced steel used to build railroads in the United States, capped the Chrysler Building in 1929, and was the first to travel to the bottom of the Mariana Trench. During the Third Reich, Krupp supported Adolf Hitler and the use of slave labour, which was a tool employed for carrying out the Holocaust while gaining from it an economical benefit. The company had a workshop near the Auschwitz death camp. After the war, Krupp was rebuilt from scratch and again became one of the wealthiest companies in Europe. However, a recession in 1967 caused the company severe profit loss. In 1999 it merged with Thyssen AG to form the industrial conglomerate ThyssenKrupp AG.

Historically, the Krupp company has been controversial because of its association with wars in Europe. As a major weapons supplier to multiple sides in various conflicts, the Krupps were sometimes blamed for the wars themselves or the degree of carnage that ensued.

The orginal site was 95% completely destroyed during WW2 bombing, amazingly the Krupp Family house still exists and missed the bombing - a picture below as I saw the house today but my camera battery went flat. The bombed out picture gives an idea of how big the site was during WW2, I guess a very big target indeed. Krupp is everywhere here in Essen, statutes, memorials, street names - the entire area was built on the history of the steel works. I will get more photos over the next few weeks. Thanks for reading and below a mixture of the old and new :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

muckaroon1960

Re: Krupp Steel Works Essen, Germany.

Postby muckaroon1960 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:46 pm

Thanks for posting Dave. This type of post brings home the effort put in by civilians during conflicts such as WW2 and is sometimes overlooked. Civilians on both sides played a massive role in design and build of material albeit sometimes against their will. :thumbsup:

doug6zj9

Postby doug6zj9 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:11 am

Thank you immensely for the "then and now" historical photo tours. People really enjoy them. :thumbsup:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:08 am

X2 :thumbsup: agree with Doug. Very interesting thread Dave.

Regards Mark

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:28 pm

Great stuff Dave and I look forward to more pictures.

I'm sure there are loads of interesting places around this site :thumbsup:

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:07 pm

Here you go a few more photos of the Krupp site. I was very close to the family house although locals don't like it. There was a very interesting board showing a photo of the area around the house back in the late 1800s. Strange really when they don't like photos but put a board up to read. Also there is a very large bunker very close by, impossible to get in as lots of keep out signs about. Also a photo of the now main reception to Thyssenkrupp.

Thanks for looking. :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:10 pm

If I may say the family house looks rather conservative for such a wealthy family. Thanks for the extra pictures Dave.

Regards Mark

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:57 pm

Great pictures Dave, such a small house compared to the huge building behind it. (in the black and white war time picture).

doug6zj9

Postby doug6zj9 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:17 pm

great stuff - thanks!

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:50 pm

Just recently bought (and finally arrived..) a nice interesting item, made from the Krupp factory.. :wink:

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:31 pm

Let's see it Pete :thumbsup:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:22 am

So here's another example from Mr Krupp's factory all the way down in Australia. Just happened to be walking through our local park today and stopped to read the plaque on this relic from WW1 for the first time and Lo and behold.....

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:31 am

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:57 pm

The influence of the Krupp sreel I am sure is worldwide Mark, it was a massive industry that began with Alfred Krupp and 5 employees, at the time of his death around 1860, the company had grown to 20,000 plus!