29th Infantry Division "The Blue & Gray".

Moderator: muckaroon1960

muckaroon1960

29th Infantry Division "The Blue & Gray".

Postby muckaroon1960 » Mon May 20, 2019 8:04 pm

Created in 1917, the 29th infantry division saw its first action in France as a part of the American Expeditionary Force during the First World War. During World War II, the 29th division saw action in Normandy and its 116th Regiment, attached to the First Infantry Division, was in the first wave of troops ashore during the landings. It supported a special Ranger unit tasked with clearing strong points at Omaha Beach. Following the first wave of attacks which saw the virtual annihilation of Company A, 1st Battalion, 116th infantry (Virginia National Guard, known as the Bedford Boys*) the remaining 29th came ashore later then advanced to Saint-Lô, and eventually fought there way through France and into Germany. The 116th Infantry hit the beach at 06:30hrs and was assigned four sectors: Easy Green, Dog Red, Dog White, and Dog Green.
29th Infantry losses during WW2 were: 20,620 casualties of which 3,887 were killed in action with a number of those being "the Bedford Boys"* as written about by Alex Kershaw in his book based on the towns sacrifice during D-Day. These catastrophic losses suffered by this small Virginia community led to it being selected for the site of the National D-Day Memorial. **==

Information from Wikipedia and "The Bedford Boys"* Alex Kershaw (Simon & Schuster)2003.

I've taken delivery of an original 29th infantry patch to add to my ever expanding collection. In used condition this one and slightly gone oval as its been attached at some point one assumes to a jacket arm. Very Yin & Yang in its design with the colours of the North & South as fought in the US Civil war, this one has a green edge with green back and these are very highly sought after. :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Re: 29th Infantry Division "The Blue & Gray".

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Tue May 21, 2019 4:41 am

Great patch Paul. The 29th also painted this emblem on many of their helmets as I've seen a number of period photos of this. Some could be seen on Saving Private Ryan at the early beach scenes if I remember correctly. Congrats on finding this example :thumbsup: Regards Mark

Andyb

Postby Andyb » Tue May 21, 2019 8:03 am

Another great badge for your great collection :thumbsup:

muckaroon1960

Postby muckaroon1960 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:05 am

This one was a bargain from a certain internet auction site as the vendor put it in the wrong section and I was the only bidder....happy days.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Tue May 21, 2019 12:24 pm

muckaroon1960 wrote:This one was a bargain from a certain internet auction site as the vendor put it in the wrong section and I was the only bidder....happy days.

Lucky bugger :lol: :thumbsup: Regards Mark

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Tue May 21, 2019 3:54 pm

Great "find" mate :thumbsup: