British P-1907 SMLE Bayonet

Moderator: 85ronnies

Tailgunnerdownunder

British P-1907 SMLE Bayonet

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:39 am

The Pattern 1907 bayonet, officially called the Sword bayonet, pattern 1907 (Mark I), was a British bayonet designed to be used with the Short Magazine Lee Enfield (SMLE) rifle. The Pattern 1907 bayonet was used by the British and Commonwealth forces throughout both the First and Second World Wars.

When the British military adopted the Short Magazine Lee-Enfield rifle and its' barrel was shortened to 25.2 inches (640 mm), 5 inches (130 mm) shorter than the preceding Magazine Lee-Enfield. British military strategists were fearful that the British infanteer would be at a disadvantage when engaged in a bayonet duel with enemy soldiers who retained a longer reach.

The Pattern 1907 bayonet was adopted by most of the British Commonwealth along with the SMLE, it saw broad front line service until 1945, seeing service in both World War I and World War II, it remained in Australian and Indian service for some time after 1945.
(Information supplied by Wikipedia).

This particular example of the P-1907 I received about 40 years ago from a family member. Having said that I must confess I know little about it's service life. (40 years ago is a long time and nobody is still alive to tell me any details) but still here it is.
Having done some research on these type of bayonets I can relay some factual information present on the bayonet.

Like all bayonets of this type it has a rather long blade for a bayonet at 17inches (432mm) with an overall length of 21.75 inches (552).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Re: British P-1907 SMLE Bayonet

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:54 am

The handle consisted of two wooden grips held in place by two screws and attached to the rifle by two mounting points one at the end of the rifle and one on the underside of the rifle via a spring loaded button. Despite the bayonet having what appears to be a muzzle ring it doesn't actually attach to the barrel but rather to a lug which extends past the end of the barrel.
You will see in the last photo a hole in the pommel which was provided to oil the spring button mechanism and also a D stamp which means Department of Defence.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:16 am

As on most bayonets all the information relating to manufacture, dates, etc are stamped on both sides of the ricasso. In this case on one side we see that it was manufactured by Wilkinson Sword 9/1918 with the patent mark of 1907. It has the Royal Crown mark of GR (King George V) present on all bayonets made from 1911 to 36.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:19 am

The other side has the government acceptance marks.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:38 am

The bayonet is certainly British made but it seems to me that it has an Australian made scabbard of WW2 vintage. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The design is very much the same as the original British version but has faint OA stamping on both metal tip and mouthpiece of the scabbard. This stamp with stands for Orange Arsenal was a factory in production from July 1942 to wars end in 1945. The scabbard is made of leather.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:44 am

Thanks for taking a look at my P-1907 Bayonet. Suffice to say I'm not a collector of bayonets but due to the family connection in this case I am. :lol: I have another which is the same type but Australian made and certainly of WW2 vintage and another family connected item. This one is a real beauty. Issued but I'm guessing never used. I will post it soon. :thumbsup:

Regards Mark.

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:03 pm

I used to have a British bayonet, just like this one, many years ago. God knows where it s now? :-??

When I first started going to the militaria fairs, there were hundreds of them for sale and quite cheap too.

Nice to see some British stuff for a change and this is a very nice bayonet.