USMC Canteen and Cover

muckaroon1960

USMC Canteen and Cover

Postby muckaroon1960 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:37 pm

Paid a visit to Bromsgrove militaria show today. This is a small show held 4 times a year at the Council House, Bromsgrove. Bought a couple of items including a USAAC shoulder badge and this USMC Canteen. Cover is the early war pattern type 2 with stamp and dated 1942. The stainless steel canteen itself is dated 1945 and made by Swanson. Stainless steel cup is dated 1944. A bit of mix n match regard the dates but these items more than likely changed hands time and again or were replaced. Nice EGA stamp on the cover and all original stitching and lots of Verdigris on the metalwear.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Devils Bank

Re: USMC Canteen and Cover

Postby The Devils Bank » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:21 pm

I love these little things, one that probably saved many, many lives on the battlefield.

Nice iconic canteen. Did it have a strap to attach it the waist belt?

Sounds like a good day out at Bromsgrove. :ymapplause:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:19 pm

Nice example Paul well done. Pete it attaches to a web belt that has many holes reinforced by metal eyelets. Standard belt which was used to hold a number of different items of field gear. Regards Mark

85ronnies

Postby 85ronnies » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:55 pm

Great little pick up mate :thumbsup: when you say a council house in Bromsgrove, ??.......really :grin:
cheers Ronnie

muckaroon1960

Postby muckaroon1960 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:44 pm

Probably not much more than an dozen sellers at this venue and a lot of German militaria. There were also some deacs along with the usual medals and badges etc. The guy I bought the canteen off had a lot of US and Japanese items. He had what looked like an original US paratroopers garrison cap with blue badge along with a 506th Currahee dui badge which looked like it had been added later as it appeared quite new? I presume he added this badge to ramp up the price which he kept changing as I tried to do a deal on the canteen and the cap together but he wouldn't give me any discount and after I had bought the canteen I returned to try to renegotiate the price on the cap and he'd put it up a tenner? And he nearly forgot to give me a fiver change for the canteen.....well he was in his eighties but still compos mentis.....he knew what the score was. :thumbsup:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:53 am

:lol: what a classic :lol: :thumbsup: Regards Mark

Andyb

Postby Andyb » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:32 pm

Nice canteen Paul, :thumbsup: with it being Marines, it could have seen action somewhere