WW2 British sand camo Helmet

Tailgunnerdownunder

WW2 British sand camo Helmet

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:01 am

This weeks helmet features a "back to british" theme for me. Something similar to the helmet I featured from my collection a while back except this one sports a totally different paint scheme. Always wanted a helmet from the North African/ Italy/ Mediterranean theatre of WW2. While I'm still on the hunt for a German example I did manage a few years ago now to find this beauty. British helmet with a rough sandy finish applied to the outside shell leaves no doubt that it fought somewhere in that theatre of operations. Apparently it also came with the cloth hessian cover but at the time a couldn't afford both (they were being sold separately) so I just had to go for the helmet. As you can see I was lucky enough to get it although not having that hessian cover still haunts me. :sad:

For me the best aspect of this helmet is the wonderful sand finish on the outside of the shell with the inside left as is from the factory and stainless steel rim. :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Re: WW2 British sand camo Helmet

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:16 am

As you can see there is a series of what looks like small chips to the camo on one side of the shell. I often say that if you look closely enough the helmets in your collection almost talk to you especially when they show combat use. Possibly these chips are from being worn or carried and hitting against a piece of field gear. Impossible to know now but food for the imagination and makes one wonder for sure :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:27 am

The shell is stamped JSS I 1940. This is the manufacturer John Sankey and Sons, Bilston.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:39 am

The liner is in good condition with the rexine fabric intact and crown pad with sponge still present. The liner is stamped with JCS and W Ltd 1940, a liner manufacturer called J Compton Sons and Webb Ltd and is a size 7. (56-57cm)

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:47 am

The chinstrap is in great shape although a bit dirty with a small repair to the webbing. (please see photo :thumbsup: ) cool to see and the springs that provide tension to the chinstrap on both sides are intact and still work which is a real bonus.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:07 am

Unfortunately knowledge of where this helmet actually served is now lost to time. All we have now is the evidence provided by the helmet and the camo paint applied to the outside of the shell. When I pick up this helmet it makes me think of the 8th Army in North Africa, Tobruk, Benghazi or perhaps El Alamein or indeed the Italian campaign. Either way a real piece of history in hand, one which I'm very pleased to own and in this case after almost 80 years an experience that money can buy. :thumbsup:

Regards Mark.

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:34 pm

Nice rusty helmet, now that's nice :thumbsup:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:39 pm

The Devils Bank wrote:Nice rusty helmet, now that's nice :thumbsup:

Thanks Pete. Suffice to say it's one of my favourites in my collection....but then they all are :lol: thanks for checking it out. Regards Mark

muckaroon1960

Postby muckaroon1960 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:33 pm

Mark, as the Australian and New Zealanders fought in Africa, any possibility it was used by them? :thumbsup:

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:39 pm

Mark this really is a great looking helmet - totally agree that the sand finish really is something special. I have ever only seen a helmet like this with the sand colour in the Imperial War Museum London. Great find :thumbsup:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:56 pm

muckaroon1960 wrote:Mark, as the Australian and New Zealanders fought in Africa, any possibility it was used by them? :thumbsup:

This is correct Paul but I don't believe that was the case with this helmet. Firstly I purchased this helmet directly from England and secondly we made our own. They were made without the stainless steel rim and are commonly referred to as raw edged helmets. I have seen some English examples with raw edge as well but are fairly rare and I don't know why they exist but they are around collecting circles. Also it maybe possible for helmets to be swapped between individual soldiers as they appear very similar but since this helmet has English markings and was purchased from there one can only conclude that it's British issue in my opinion. Regards Mark

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:00 pm

Dave_Holden wrote:Mark this really is a great looking helmet - totally agree that the sand finish really is something special. I have ever only seen a helmet like this with the sand colour in the Imperial War Museum London. Great find :thumbsup:

Many thanks Dave. The IWM is definitely on my bucket list to visit one day for sure :thumbsup: Regards Mark.