M40 DD SS German Helmet replica

Tailgunnerdownunder

M40 DD SS German Helmet replica

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:27 am

Had to take sometime to think how best to describe this helmet. All parts are original although I doubt they started life together yet the paint and decals have been added post war. Originally this was a M40 single decal (either Heer, Luftwaffe or DD Waffen SS) according to it's lot number, made by Quist size 64 sometime after March 1940. Served in the armed forces of Nazi Germany and was 'captured' and pressed into the service of the Norwegian Army post war. If you look carefully you will still see the outline of the national shield on either side of the helmet. The liner (original German issue but with round head brass leather liner pins) has the distinct red dye found on these re-issued Norwegian liners. At some after that it made it's way to the United States to be repainted black and Double Decal SS decals applied to be used as a bikers helmet. I know this because after I purchased it I took a large sticker off the rear of the helmet referring to the rights of bikers or something to that effect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Re: M40 DD SS German Helmet replica

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:31 am

Seems that it doesn't matter whether the helmet is used during war time or post war the wear so often present to the crown of the helmet is still there :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:51 am

If you look carefully you can see the Norwegian National shield under the black paint just in front of the reapplied decals :thumbsup:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:55 am

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:00 am

The helmet shell has the stamp Q64. This is the maker mark of F.W.Quist,Esslingen.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:21 am

The following photographs show clearly the reddish colored dye commonly used by Norway and also the round head brass rivets that hold the leather liner to the inner band. These features make it easy for the helmet collector to tell the difference.
The last photo gives an excellent comparison as to how the liner should look in a regular German issue helmet.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:28 am

Hope you enjoyed this presentation of a helmet that no doubt would provide mixed feedback on it's position in the collecting world. It fills a gap in my collection and presents quite well to those who don't really know what there looking at. For me it fills a spot in my collection that I will never be able to complete due to price and for that it has a worthwhile role in my collection :thumbsup:

Regards Mark.

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:47 pm

I have a genuine Fallschirmjager helmet shell with repro' liner and it does need a "paint job" doing to bring it back to life.

I've seen some cracking paint schemes on the net, and it's just time and waiting for the nod to get it done.

It looks so sad, just sitting there in it's pitted bare metal. :((

The SS lid shown is still a quite decent purchase, a genuine one would be worth ££'s.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:35 am

I remember the helmet Pete from a year or so ago. You were asking for suggestions on which paint scheme to use if I remember correctly. Regards Mark

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:58 pm

I've been on to one restoration chap, but he's very busy at the moment and I'm in no rush.

I'll get it done... :roll: :wink:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:38 am

Looking forward to seeing it when finished Pete :thumbsup:

Regards Mark.