Helmet Workshop- installing a liner into a German Helmet

Tailgunnerdownunder

Helmet Workshop- installing a liner into a German Helmet

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:12 am

Recently I needed to fit a liner to a German helmet which I purchased quite cheaply due to it's condition. Actually I only bought it because I wanted it's chinstrap so you can see that as a piece of history it was very much compromised. Missing it's liner pin washers, loose pins, post war Norwegian use followed by a bikers black paint job and decals it was at the bottom end of the scale as far as historical significance was concerned. Despite this I found some original washers and re-fitted the liner correctly so at least it was returned part wise to it's original condition. Since it was repainted as a Double decal SS helmet I thought it was worth the trouble as it presents quite well for what it is and an original would cost probably $15 to $20k. All up it cost me the price of a good makers marked chinstrap plus $50 so I don't think I will loose on this one as bad as it is. Anyhow the point of this is that I took the trouble to photograph each step in fitting the liner into the shell so I can show interested members how I through doing this a number of times I have managed to find an effective way to fit a liner and most importantly get those liner pins to fit tight as they should and would at the time of original issue. :thumbsup:
Disclaimer....no proper original period helmet was sacrificed during this process :lol:
Nor I might add should you attempt this on a German Helmet that is period correct. If you don't like the fact that it has a tattered liner or the pins are loose due to wear then don't buy it :thumbsup: please leave well enough alone.

Ok now that we have covered that business and hopefully I have allayed any concerns that I may have damaged a good helmet lets get started :thumbsup:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Re: Helmet Workshop- installing a liner into a German Helmet

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:23 am

Lets have a look at the parts we need to do the job correctly.
We need a liner, the pins that hold it in place and most importantly the washers as without these it is likely you will end up with loose pins. Many times when you see 'messed' with helmets the pins are loose and the washers are missing.
The liner.
The pins. (You need three)
The washers. (You will need three of these as well)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:37 am

Taking a close look at the liner you will see that it has two slots for the front pins and a round hole for the rear pin. You will see that one slot appears covered, another partially covered and not much room to move on the round rear hole. What you are seeing here are the liner springs which allow the liner to self adjust and cover two head sizes, these are positioned between the inner and outer liner bands.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:53 am

The liner pins.
Chances are that you will be using liner pins that have already been used before and therefore been bent when installed previously and have been straightened out during removal. Once these pins have been bent they don't return to their original state and that creates a problem if you want a tight fitting liner pin when reinstalled.
You can see that the gap between each finger in the pin narrows at the point where they were bent on installation. This prevents the washer from sliding all the way up to the head of the pin and prevents a tight fit against the outer liner band.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:25 am

We need to straighten these fingers and get them running parallel to each other so that the washer slides all the way up to the head of the pin. I use a flat head screw driver with some tape wrapped around the end. This stops it from marking the pin and allows me to work out how much tape to wind onto the end to get the correct gap between the fingers. Then it is just a matter of sliding it down between the fingers until it sits with some pressure against the head (may need some slight twisting of the screw driver) while closing the end tips with your spare hand. I use a pair of pointed nosed pliers, again with some tape around the end for protection, to finally straighten the fingers after successfully restoring the gap. This now allows the twin slotted washer to slide all the way up to the head of the pin.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:36 am

Once step this has been successfully repeated three times we are ready to install the liner in to the helmet shell. The three location holes need to line up with the corresponding slots on the liner. Since there is only one way this can go this is the easy part.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:06 am

When installing the pins I install the front two first and leave the rear pin to last. I found by doing that I was able to get a better result by using the rear pin to pull back and tension any movement present after fitting the front two. Just my experience and we all like those pins to be nice and tight. :thumbsup:

Fitting the liner pins and washers, and if anyone reading this has attempted it in the past will I'm sure agree, is the hardest and at times most frustrating part of this installation. Some force is needed to create a gap between the outer band and inner band of the liner in order to allow the pin to pass through the holes while at the same time you need to line up the washer to fit down the fingers of the liner pin. If that sounds like a lot is going on at once you are correct. You may need several attempts to get this right as it can be quite difficult to get that washer lined up perfectly to fit the pin. Perhaps that's why so many are missing but patience is need here because those washers must go on to get a tight fit. ( Remember they were fitted originally so there is a reason for them being there.) If you find that you don't have enough hands then place something in there to hold the gap open while you fit that b#**#dy washer :lol:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:21 am

Once you have that washer on push it all the way up the fingers until it sits nice and tight against the outer liner band while at the same time apply pressure to the liner pin on the out side of the shell. Really important to keep the pressure against both sides here so that we have the pin and washer pushing tight against each other as we now bend both ends of the pin fingers over the washer in opposite directions (pointing up and down) until both are flat against the liner band. Have those fingers bent as hard as you can get them.
Do the same for the other side.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:36 am

So now we have both of the front pins in place with one to go. Don't be concerned of you have some slight movement in one or both pins as you may be able to improve or fix that with the rear pin. Main thing is that they are in and not hanging out type loose if you know what I mean :smile:

Installing the rear pin is a repeat process of the other two except be sure to hold everything in this rear pin together tight as this is your last opportunity to get maximum tension in fitting the liner. By doing this you may be able to take up any remaining slack and make it a first class job :thumbsup:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:45 am

Well that's about it. If you have been following this thread whilst installing your own liner then I hope you are now looking at the end result and feeling quite pleased with it. If not well I guess you can try again or if it's too hard then you can always pack it all up and send it to me :lol:

Thanks for taking the time to read this :thumbsup:

Regards Mark.

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:14 pm

Cheers Mark, I've committed suicide at least four times, trying to get the bloody things to line up and be able to bend the pins. :((

I'll have another go soon and see if my patience has returned..

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:19 pm

The Devils Bank wrote:Cheers Mark, I've committed suicide at least four times, trying to get the bloody things to line up and be able to bend the pins. :((

I'll have another go soon and see if my patience has returned..

Stick with it Pete and keep trying :thumbsup: I think I know the helmet your referring to. Keep us updated mate. Regards Mark