Tom Dresser VC

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Tom Dresser VC

Postby Dave_Holden » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:59 pm

Hello all.

Out and about today in Middlesbrough and as a life long Nottingham Forest fan, I decided to visit the bronze statue they have erected here in Albert Park. Along the way and just a 100mtrs from Cloughie I came across another local hero - Tom Dresser.

A little history courtesy as ever from Wikipedia:

Tom Dresser VC (1891 – 9 April 1982) was an English recipient of the Victoria Cross, the highest and most prestigious award for gallantry in the face of the enemy that can be awarded to British and Commonwealth forces.

Dresser was born at Laund House Farm, Huby in 1891. He was 24 years old, and a private in the 7th Battalion, The Yorkshire Regiment (Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own), British Army during the First World War when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC.

On 12 May 1917 near Roeux, France, Private Dresser, in spite of having been twice wounded on the way and suffering great pain, succeeded in conveying an important message from battalion headquarters to the front line trenches, which he eventually reached in an exhausted condition. His fearlessness and determination to deliver this message at all costs proved of the greatest value to his battalion at a critical period.

His Victoria Cross is displayed at the Green Howards Museum in Richmond, North Yorkshire.

I miss so much all of the history here in England and it really brings home the fact that the Brits have to guard it and make sure that its never forgotten. From what I noted today sadly not all "Brits" have this fact high on their agenda :sad: :
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Christopher Ailsby

Re: Tom Dresser VC

Postby Christopher Ailsby » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:48 am

Notingham forest - what can I say, my stepson and his Dad have been ardent fans all their lives. I did not think that there was any others infected by this "Disease".

Christopher

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:04 pm

Very brave young lad and nice statue as well.

Any idea how he got on, later in life?

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:34 pm

Not sure on that Pete - sorry to sound negative, but probably ended up trying to make ends meet on a pension combined with seeing his Great Britain dragged down.

Apologies again, but every time I visit home I do note the ever decreasing standards across the spectrum of British culture and general respect for those around.

All the same nice to visit for a while.