Cased Purple Heart.

Moderator: muckaroon1960

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Cased Purple Heart.

Postby Dave_Holden » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:42 pm

Here is my final item from my visit to the USA.

Purple Heart WW2 issue, unfortunately no dedication to whom and missing the brooch. I have no idea but I guess this was never issued to anyone, but again I am not sure. It appears thicker than the modern day PHs and is actually quiet heavy. A little info below courtesy of the "Military Order of the Purple Heart," :

The Purple Heart is awarded to members of the armed forces of the U.S. who are wounded by an instrument of war in the hands of the enemy and posthumously to the next of kin in the name of those who are killed in action or die of wounds received in action. It is a combat decoration.

The organization now known as the "Military Order of the Purple Heart," was formed in 1932 for the protection and mutual interest of all who have received the decoration. Composed exclusively of Purple Heart recipients, it is the only veterans service organization comprised strictly of “combat” veterans.

Funds for welfare, rehabilitation and/or service work carried on by the organization are derived through the collection of used household items, the operation of thrift stores, through the donation of automobiles and, at the community level, The Purple Heart Violafrom the annual distribution of its official flower, the Purple Heart Viola. Violas are assembled by disabled and needy veterans, many of whom receive little or no compensation from other sources. Thus, your contribution to our programs serve are two-fold. First, they help the veterans who participate in these endeavors and, secondly, they enable the organization to do many things on behalf of hospitalized and needy veterans and their families.

Wives, mothers, daughters and adopted daughters of Purple Heart recipients are eligible to belong to the Ladies' Auxiliary of the Military Order of the Purple Heart, which also does important work nationally and locally in veterans' hospitals.

Thanks again for looking :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Re: Cased Purple Heart.

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:51 am

Looks a nice PH Dave, aren't they a nice award in hand and quite substantial as well. Paul would be able to tell more but it's in the WW2 era 'coffin box' as they sometimes call it and would have included a ribbon bar and lapel pin. They had lots left over from WW2 so is hard to tell when or if issued. Korea even but nice and original none the less. I have a boxed example as well which I posted some time back in the medal forum. :thumbsup: Regards Mark

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:12 am

Dave this is what it should look like when complete. Just need to find a ribbon bar and lapel pin. Paul will help on this but the style of pin on the back of the ribbon bar is important when judging it's age as they changed it later on.
Unfortunately I don't have a closeup photo of them to show you at the moment but if needed I can do one. :thumbsup:

Regards Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:13 pm

Thanks as always Mark - top man :thumbsup:

muckaroon1960

Postby muckaroon1960 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:59 pm

Hi Dave, sorry I missed this one earlier, must be the weather. Looking at the ribbon it looks like this may have been on a crimp mount but without the mount its difficult to say who the maker is. This is possibly a type 4 which were made from the 1970's onwards with no distinction between Army and Navy awards. Williams & Anderson (Attleboro, RI) had a contract during the 70/80's for the PH so could be one of those but saying that, the US Mint produced medals that were noticeably thicker than a private contractor which Williams & Anderson were. The coffin box was used to issue the award up to the Gulf War. This was due to mass over production during WW2 and beyond. That said you still have a great looking medal and you could maybe purchase another US medal and remove a crimp brooch (right) and fit on your medal. Easy to do and you can find cheap newer us service medals and remove the crimp however if you were able to find a loop brooch (left) then this could be sewn in place. :thumbsup: **==

N.B. I've just ordered a modern issue PH made by Graco Industries and I'll compare the thickness of the planchett with the others in my collection. I have the bug at the moment for the Purple Heart and am looking for a Williams & Anderson to add to my collection as well. :thumbsup:

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:44 pm

Thanks for the info Paul, very much appreciated. Cheers Dave.

muckaroon1960

Postby muckaroon1960 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:08 pm

Dave_Holden wrote:Thanks for the info Paul, very much appreciated. Cheers Dave.

Dave, can you post a close up of the rear of the ribbon where the suspender would have been. I would like to see if there are any signs that this could have had a slot loop brooch?

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:55 am

Away from home at the mo Paul, but I will post a photo in a day or two :thumbsup:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:37 am

Really interesting thread Paul and Dave :thumbsup:

Regards Mark.

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:43 pm

Paul has done all the work on this one - I am just a novice with the PHs, but I am really starting to like these awards and I am very grateful for the information supplied :thumbsup:

muckaroon1960

Postby muckaroon1960 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:04 pm

Dave, I've just taken delivery of the Graco made Purple Heart. Made in the last 20 years (code numbers added to the suspender from mid 90's) and these type would be awarded for service in Afghanistan and Iraq. Contrary to what I have previously stated about US mint medals having a thicker planchett it appears this Graco one is thicker than the Rex Products and the other WW2 manufactured Purple Hearts. You see... you learn something new everyday. The metal on the Graco is much duller (as shown in the pictures) than the one you have which still leads me to believe the one you have is earlier manufacture and I notice the ring suspender is different and the Washington family shield is thicker so more than likely not a Graco industries make. I did have a Ira Green made PH in my collection but sold it on as at the time I was only collecting WW2 medals. Just need to find another that's all. :thumbsup:
P.S. ever noticed when photographing the Purple Heart it turns out Blue in the picture? Bloody Mystery????

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:25 pm

Congratulations on your latest addition and the information you have provided with it Paul. Great work, great medal :thumbsup: much appreciated. Regards Mark