WW2 Japanese type 90 Helmet

Tailgunnerdownunder

WW2 Japanese type 90 Helmet

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:20 am

Well here it is :thumbsup:

"As a helmet collector I thought a few years back now that I would like to add a Japanese helmet to my collection. The intention was to look for just one example.One of those "if you were only going to own one" situations,so for me it had to be a good one. Not knowing much about them I decided to seek the help of a collecting friend in the US to find a helmet that would do just that. The result is this weeks featured helmet, an example that I liked from the moment I saw it. Hard one to upgrade is one way of describing it I guess. I just call it my only Imperial Japanese Army helmet. Hope you will like it" :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Re: WW2 Japanese type 90 Helmet

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:57 am

The type 90 helmet was the helmet used by the Japanese military before and during WW2. It's development began in early 1927 and after testing and further development was approved in October 1930.It was available in just two shell sizes, small and large. Final adjustment for individual head size was achieved by reducing the amount of filling inside each of the three liner pads. The liner head pads are attached to the shell via a thick leather strap which covers the inside circumference of the helmet. A series of metal pins hold the liner to the shell as well as the three loops required for the chinstrap. The Army was represented by the star at the front and the Anchor was for the Navy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:04 am

I'm not sure what size this helmet is but it has the size stamp pressed into the leather in the photo's below. Unfortunately it's in the form of a Japanese symbol. I think it may read small but not sure at this stage.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:15 am

The chinstrap is quiet a simple arrangement designed without a buckle (not missing) which was then simply tied under the chin.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:31 am

The feature of this helmet in my eyes is the series of Japanese writing in abundance found around the inside of the helmet. Some of which has been written over the top of previous writing. Can only assume that this helmet has seen several owners and possibly a number of units or uses during it's service life. One day I will get the opportunity to have these identified. I have over the years hosted several Japanese students in my house and it took some effort not to show this helmet to them for their assistance in reading the script. Under the circumstances being only young students and the nature of the subject I thought better of it.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:35 am

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:18 am

Not sure if I will get the opportunity to own another Japanese helmet for my collection. Perhaps if I do I will look for Navy version. In the meantime I will make do with this example of the Imperial Japanese Army type 90 Helmet :thumbsup:
Hope you like it.
Regards Mark.

muckaroon1960

Postby muckaroon1960 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:19 pm

Nice one Mark....loving your work :thumbsup:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:58 pm

muckaroon1960 wrote:Nice one Mark....loving your work :thumbsup:

Many thanks Paul really appreciate your feedback :thumbsup: had a job photographing this helmet. Getting the lighting right was hard. The outside shell is a different colour in each shot. It is more on the darker side. :thumbsup: feel as though it has much more history to share when I can get that script translated. Regards Mark

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:51 pm

After posting these helmet photos I noticed what seems like a foundry stamp in one of the closeup shots. Never noticed it before starting this thread. Surprised and pleased to say the least. Of course I then had to research its origins. Seems it's the mark for Kobe Steel, one of the manufacturers for this helmet. The bit I have read about these helmets I have never heard these stamps mentioned. The stamp appears on the left of the photo below. Regards Mark.

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:02 pm

Fantastic post Mark - really amazed how much information you have included - I knew nothing about these helmets until I read your excellent post. I am really seriously thinking of forming a small collection of items from the WW2 Pacific conflict as my interests have grown since I have been here in Florida and your post has only fuelled the fire.

Cheers Mark :thumbsup:

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:28 pm

Excellent Japanese helmet mate, I've always wanted a Jap helmet, but I wouldn't know where to start.. :-??

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:07 pm

The Devils Bank wrote:Excellent Japanese helmet mate, I've always wanted a Jap helmet, but I wouldn't know where to start.. :-??

Hi Pete, may I suggest searching dealer sites, for sale section of other forums, seller contacts etc. All the usual sources then post some on here that you like and we will discuss each one on its merits. Regards Mark.

resistanceunit

Postby resistanceunit » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:43 pm

Great post, thanks other Mark..!

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:57 am

Thank you Mark. Actually since I started this thread I have found out some more information relating to the size. The symbol on the leather band matches a painted version which appears on the inside edge of the shell. After researching it further it is Kanji script for Large. :thumbsup:

Regards Mark.