USA A2 Leather Jacket.

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

USA A2 Leather Jacket.

Postby Dave_Holden » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:13 am

Hello all.

Took a punt on this jacket I found again at the museum here in Florida. It has a AF Special Operations Patch, nice supple leather and lining is fully intact - I can see no damage at all. I did a bit of research and I am guessing it must be post 1983 as the AF Special Operations was set up then, HQ being at Hurlburt Field, Florida, so it all fits nicely finding it here. A little history below courtesy of wiki:

Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC), headquartered at Hurlburt Field, Florida, is the special operations component of the United States Air Force. An Air Force major command (MAJCOM), AFSOC is also the U.S. Air Force component command to United States Special Operations Command (USSOCOM), a unified combatant command located at MacDill Air Force Base, Florida. AFSOC provides all Air Force Special Operations Forces (SOF) for worldwide deployment and assignment to regional unified combatant commands.

Before 1983, Air Force special operations forces were primarily assigned to the Tactical Air Command (TAC) and were generally deployed under the control of U.S. Air Forces in Europe (USAFE) or, as had been the case during the Vietnam War, Pacific Air Forces (PACAF). Just as it had relinquished control of the C-130 theater airlift fleet to Military Airlift Command (MAC) in 1975, TAC relinquished control of Air Force SOF to MAC in December 1982.

AFSOC was initially established on 10 February 1983 as Twenty-Third Air Force (23 AF), a subordinate numbered air force of MAC, with 23 AF headquarters initially established at Scott Air Force Base, Illinois. On 1 August 1987, 23 AF headquarters moved to Hurlburt Field, Florida.

As a bonus it fits me perfectly and I plan to wear it whilst on my 1948 Indian lookalike - (actually a KW Drifter).

I searched prices and found on the internet $450 to $750 - I paid just $150.00, so I feel I cant complain - I have no idea if I got burnt or not, but I love the jacket :thumbsup:

Anything Steve McQueen wore in the Great Escape, is good enough for me.

Thanks for looking and any further information would be greatly appreciated. Also here is my bike :thumbsup:

Cheers Dave H.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

resistanceunit

Re: USA A2 Leather Jacket.

Postby resistanceunit » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:08 am

Classic jacket mate, worn by Sinatra in Von Ryan's Express too I think..! Its a toss up between which is cooler though, this or the tanker's jacket.. :thumbsup:

muckaroon1960

Postby muckaroon1960 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:13 pm

A2 every time for me..great find Dave, one of my favourite jackets. I have 2 in my collection both modern issue, one is a Cooper same as this one and another a British made Cirrus...just need to find that elusive WW2 original and to lose weight so I can wear the other one's :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. You didn't get burned on the price..like I've always said "when you see it. Buy it!"

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:39 pm

Thanks for the comments chaps - I appreciatte it :thumbsup:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:46 am

Great jacket and bike Dave :thumbsup: well done. Regards Mark

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:10 pm