Forum Activity.

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Forum Activity.

Postby Dave_Holden » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:27 pm

Much inreased activity on our forum pages, we have jumped from 7 active posts a few weeks back to 31 :thumbsup: Its damn hot hear in Hungary and its max 2 hours sleep at night as its still 28C, gives me something to read :thumbsup: :grin:

Christopher Ailsby

Re: Forum Activity.

Postby Christopher Ailsby » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:56 pm

All back on the tools as they say in the trade.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:31 am

Pleased to see Dave that we are all providing some quality bedside reading mate :thumbsup: just as long as it doesn't put you to sleep....or in this case maybe it would be a good thing if it did :lol:

Regards Mark.

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:26 pm

No keep it coming Mark - you being an Aussie know how hard it is to sleep when its hot :thumbsup:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:42 pm

Dave_Holden wrote:No keep it coming Mark - you being an Aussie know how hard it is to sleep when its hot :thumbsup:

:lol: indeed I do Dave

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:58 pm

Talking of heat, do you remember Derick Randall Coming into the Centenary Test in 1977 at Melbourne. Randall had played four Tests with a top score of 37. After crashing Lillee and Max Walker, and Kerry O’Keeffe, around MCG for 446 minutes, he had scored 174. Several times he was felled by bumpers from Lillee, on one occasion doffing his cap, on another getting struck a sickening blow on the side of the head. Notable was the way he hooked and pulled off the front foot, a shot that drew admiration from the watching Don Bradman. Despite defeat, he was named man of the match and established himself as one of England’s best loved and most determined cricketers. Randall stood figetting as his nature - totally unorthodox stance at the wicket and batting in 39C. When he doffed his cap to Lillee, after narrowly evading a savage bouncer, stating, "No point in hitting me there, mate, there's nothing in it." When finally dismissed he left the ground by the wrong gate, and found himself climbing up towards the Royal enclosure where Queen Elizabeth II was watching the day's play. "She was very nice about it," he told the BBC. "She smiled. Someone else quickly put me right."

I know you Aussies love your cricket Mark, I am also a pretty fair opening bat - slow and solid to get the shine off the ball :thumbsup:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:54 pm

What a great Test Match Dave. I remember watching each day of it as an 11 year old and has stuck in my mind ever since. Randall was a great cover fielder and took some amazing catches that are seen regularly today but was a fielder ahead of his time. Remember McCosker copped a bouncer which broke his jaw before the ball dropping on his stumps to be bowled only to return late in the second innings all bandaged up to bat on. David Hookes RIP hitting Tony Greig RIP for 5 consecutive boundaries. Randall given out only to be called back by Rod Marsh because he didn't take a clean catch in his opinion. Wouldn't see that too much today. Marsh scored a century, his third as wicketkeeper and to cap it all off the result was exactly the same as a century before. Australia won by 45 runs. Don't know if everyone reading this understands how amazing it is in cricket to get exactly the same result in any two matches let alone two played a hundred years apart. Thanks for the trip down memory lane Dave, great time of life. Regards Mark

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:45 pm

For me Mark no doubts you had the greatest fast bowler of all time in Jeff Thomson, closely followed by the West Indians Malcolm Marshal and Michael Holding. Its intetesting as Marshal was a straight shoulder bowler why the other 2 being side on. Yes I remember Rod Marsh calling Randell back :thumbsup:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:45 am

Actually Dave I think it was during that Test Match they were signing players up for World Series Cricket in the change rooms after play. In Australia I think I would be correct to say that while everyone acknowledges Thompson, most would pick Mr. DK Lillee as our most highly celebrated fast bowler. All a matter of opinion of course and other Aussies who read this may disagree but he was an outstanding player of his era. What he achieved after a almost career ending back injury was amazing. Practically reinvented himself by shorter run ups and more medium pace he was a force in world cricket. Remember those leg cutters of his? Almost unplayable and guaranteed to get a fine edge to Marsh or Chappell. Only other bowler just as good with that type of delivery was NZ's Sir Richard Hadlee who seemed to mirror Lillee's idea of a shorter run up. The West Indies....well that's another story :thumbsup: Regards Mark

mloppkit

Postby mloppkit » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:06 pm

Hi Mark,

What about Pigeon?? OK not as flamboyant as Thommo or imposing as Lillee - but to me Mr 'Line and Length' was a legend -saw him many times at the Boxing Day tests at the 'G' in Melbourne back in the day,

Michael

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:02 am

mloppkit wrote:Hi Mark,

What about Pigeon?? OK not as flamboyant as Thommo or imposing as Lillee - but to me Mr 'Line and Length' was a legend -saw him many times at the Boxing Day tests at the 'G' in Melbourne back in the day,

Michael

Yes a real thorn in Englands side. I remember McGrath being instrumental in a Test Series 2005 I think, dismissing England for around 150 at Lords - his figurers being around 5 for 4 and 6 for 29 - (my figures could be wrong but he bowled a hell of a test match).

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:25 am

Hey Dave is this what you are referring to in regards to Thomo ? :thumbsup:

Regards Mark.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7dQ3UABXJk

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:46 am

mloppkit wrote:Hi Mark,

Michael

Hey Michael, yes absolutely agree and many would also. I guess I'm letting my age show here and reminiscing of that era of the seventies and early eighties. But yes he will be remembered in cricket history for sure. As will Mr Warne of course :thumbsup:
Appreciate your input as a fellow Aussie :smile:
And while I'm on a nostalgia trip check this one out. Now all you Brits and Kiwi's please feel free to sing along =))

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uBjJAV3CMk

Regards Mark.