Information on medals

Moderator: fischer

Ollie1979

Information on medals

Postby Ollie1979 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:32 am

Hi everyone, i''be recently started collecting war medals and whilst I'm here in Riga at the moment I've picked up 3 medals that if anyone could give me information on them & maybe even a value I'd greatly appreciate it, please see photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Christopher Ailsby

Re: Information on medals

Postby Christopher Ailsby » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:46 am

Dear Ollie, these 3 medals are fakes. What you have is a Soviet medal, Olympic Games Cross and the Coburg Badge. So as to value - unfortunately they have no value at all. I attach pictures of how they should look.

Christopher
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:43 am

Firstly and most importantly Ollie, welcome to the forum. Thanks to Chris for the quick answer - I am not a medal collector myself, I just dabble, but yes the quality does not match the originals - particularly the Coburg badge. If real you would have I estimate around EURO 2000.00 in your hand :sad:

Plenty of fakes out in the Baltic countries and many in Easter Europe - a lot made in the Czech Republic.

Welcome again, we are a good bunch here at Broadsword.

Cheers

Dave H.
Admin.

Christopher Ailsby

Postby Christopher Ailsby » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:51 pm

Dave, the estimate of cost of a first type Coburg bade is from £6000.00 - £9000.00, that is I you can find one.

Christopher

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:15 pm

Wow thanks Chris - think I will stick with TR art.

resistanceunit

Postby resistanceunit » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:24 am

First medal is the Soviet medal awarded to the those who participated in the defence of the Caucasus region.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medal_%22 ... aucasus%22

It looks to be ok, but your photos are blurry. You can compare the details here:

http://www.mondvor.narod.ru/MObKavk.html

muckaroon1960

Postby muckaroon1960 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:53 am

Hi Guys, I do remember reading somewhere that circa 1965 a lot of medals were issued or re-issued to Soviet Red Army Veterans during Leonid Brezhnev's term in office and also in 1985. I think more veterans were issued with medals that served during various battles but weren't credited with any awards originally. This medal may well be a late award as the originals or lets say the one's I've seen are always on brass mounts and not Aluminium. But guys don't take this as gospel as it's only what I've read about on other forums etc :thumbsup:

resistanceunit

Postby resistanceunit » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:09 pm

Hi Mucka,
millions of Soviet medals were awarded for WW2 service, some were issued straight away in the field, others were awarded later after the war. Some took many years to catch up with the recipient. I've seen documents dated into the 70's and 80's. Sometimes awards were given but documents came later. :roll: They were mostly issued only once. Duplicate or replacement issues were rare, and usually up to the awardee to replace out of their own pocket.. Not easy for the average poorly paid Soviet citizen! The brass or aluminium mounts are not necessarily an indication of age, as its common they were swapped out when they broke or newly attached for a parade. Dating a medal is down to details on the medal itself...

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:41 pm

Welcome to the forum Ollie, :ymapplause:

Like Dave, I too, have very limited knowledge of any Medals, so I couldn't give a opinion, but Christophers opinion is bang on.