Late War M1 Helmet

muckaroon1960

Late War M1 Helmet

Postby muckaroon1960 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:40 am

Added another American M1 to my collection this week. Found this in a local collectibles shop, seems they had a bit of a clear out and move around and there were three M1's on show. I knew one of them was a post war issue as I'd seen it before but the one I found is a late war issue with original paint work and the liner made by Firestone as indicated by the "F" in a shield. Firestone only made liners during the war. The liner inner band is made by "Gem Daddy" another wartime manufacturer. There is a rear seam to the outer rim edge and also swivel bales with an original issue chin strap. The helmet is numbered 1249E. During WW2 the production lot numbers were 0-1300. Not sure of the amount per lot but there must have been quite a few. Helmet production ceased at the end of WW2 but restarted during the Korean War and during the Vietnam war with variations to the colour, liner and chin strap before being phased out in the mid eighties in favour of the Pasgt Helmet.

This one is a possible Mc Cord radiator manufactured as Schleuter manufacturing stamped a "S" on their helmets and can't find one on this helmet (yet). There are also a number of stress fractures on this helmet which indicates a WW2 early manufacture? The post war made helmets had a lighter olive green which means I will need to repaint my other refurbed M1 a darker green. Also post war had sand added to the paint rather than cork. The addition of the cork was to reduce helmet glare.
Didn't pay a lot for this helmet and I know a good deal when I see one. Strange how after a number of years collecting and research your "gut instinct" kicks in and I was 99% certain this was a WW2 issue. Needs a little restoration work but no repaint thankfully (more Claret to drink otherwise) and there are some pen marks on the front and rear but not sure as to when these were added? **==
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andyb

Re: Late War M1 Helmet

Postby Andyb » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:22 pm

Very nice my friend :thumbsup: , I used to have an unissued ww2 M1 in my collection many years ago and part exed it for other items , thing I was raped as I didn't know the value etc and it went for peanuts :)) :)) :((

muckaroon1960

Postby muckaroon1960 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:39 pm

Andyb wrote:Very nice my friend :thumbsup: , I used to have an unissued ww2 M1 in my collection many years ago and part exed it for other items , thing I was raped as I didn't know the value etc and it went for peanuts :)) :)) :((

I hope you don't mean that literally..... :shock: :lol: I have done the small bit of resto work. I replaced the broken leather chin strap on the liner with a repo but it looks sound as a pound. :thumbsup:

I now have 4 M1's in my collection. 2 are WW2 vintage although the front seamer I restored has a Vietnam issue liner. The other 2 are post war one of which has a unmarked WW2 liner and the other a 1982 liner, possibly one of the last batch to be issued?
The other thing about the restored M1 is that it came with a British helmet issued to a Navy air dispatcher Deck Officer who may have served in the Falklands War? I have no provenance to this only that the liner is named to "Miguel". I sold the British Helmet which incidentally was similar in appearance to a Para helmet and this meant my M1 was a freebie.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:46 pm

Great find Mucka nice helmet :thumbsup: OD 3 chin straps and webbing, WW2 for sure. Of all the helmets I own these M1's and German are my favourites. Missing nape strap? The rim looks manganese and not stainless steel. Thinking possibly 43-44 manufacture? Original leather chin straps are easy to get and finish off the helmet nicely with the age you get from an old leather strap can't be beaten. I have a few spare and pick them up when I can. Regards Mark.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:16 pm

The good old M1. You still have it Paul? Regards Mark

muckaroon1960

Postby muckaroon1960 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:53 pm

Tailgunnerdownunder wrote:The good old M1. You still have it Paul? Regards Mark

Hi Mark, yes and takes its pride of place with my others. Incidentally I have discovered one of my M1's is a Danish post war issue. No great shakes as this was a freebie from my son in law. :thumbsup:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:32 am

muckaroon1960 wrote:
Tailgunnerdownunder wrote:The good old M1. You still have it Paul? Regards Mark

Hi Mark, yes and takes its pride of place with my others. Incidentally I have discovered one of my M1's is a Danish post war issue. No great shakes as this was a freebie from my son in law. :thumbsup:

That's ok though Paul because a lot of countries adopted the M1 or some version of it post war for their armed forces. I have a few Aussie versions as you probably know. I posted them highlighting the subtle differences between the two. Are there differences to note between the American version to the Danish to help identify the two? Regards Mark

muckaroon1960

Postby muckaroon1960 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:34 pm

Hi Mark, there's the remains of a blue crown paint mark inside the helmet. Liner and straps are different, liner is quite thin and no maker markings or numbers on the helmet.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:20 pm

muckaroon1960 wrote:Hi Mark, there's the remains of a blue crown paint mark inside the helmet. Liner and straps are different, liner is quite thin and no maker markings or numbers on the helmet.

Thanks for the information Paul it's much appreciated :thumbsup: Regards Mark.