Mum's School Sign.

The Devils Bank

Mum's School Sign.

Postby The Devils Bank » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:00 pm

Mum has been admitted to Hospital three times now, in under two weeks with different problems.

All the Hospital staff on all the different wards have been wonderful to her, I can't thank them as no visitors are allowed :(

But fingers crossed, all will be ok in the next few days or so..

Anyway, in between all this, I was talking to mum and she was reminiscing about her time in school after the war ended.

When she was in her teens, early 1950's, she went back into her old school hall, for a jumble sale (remember them?) with her mother..

After having a good root, she had a look at the old pictures on the hall walls, she remembered them from her time in the infant classes.

Still on the wall, near the exit door, was the old air raid warning sign, directing the children to the shelters.

There were two shelters, in the front play ground, one for boys and one for girls and woe betide you if you were caught in the wrong one. x_x

I asked her if she could remember the actual wording?

Although she has vascular dementia now, amazingly she can remember minor things in detail :-??

She sat back and closed her eyes, and gave me a rough idea of the text that was on that sign.

I had a good internet look, on school air raid shelter signs and found one that had similar text and showed it to mum.

No said mum, "this bit was different, it didn't say that", but we worked out what I believe was written on that sign.

After a few drafts :grin: this is what we came up with..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Devils Bank

Re: Mum's School Sign.

Postby The Devils Bank » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:35 pm

Our Lady of Good Help was the school I also went to, with all my brothers and sister.

Mum talked of her teachers, who were not professional, but more like locums, who stood in when there was a shortage.

Of all the teachers she remembered, it was the school headmistress that she clearly remembered most..

The formidable Miss Mcguinness, who ran the school with a iron rod. :-o

Just under five feet tall, this lady took no back chat, her word was final, no questions asked.

Mum clearly remembers her name on the bottom of that sign, along with the school name amongst the wording.

This school has now been closed for many a year, here is the only picture I could find of the front playground and hall.

The hall entrance is hidden, top left corner in the bottom picture, and now, the air raid shelters have long gone, replaced with a car park.

This how I remembered it too, sad to say it has been redeveloped now, and I can't reconise my old school.

The entrance now has a new white door and wooden pathway, top picture, dead center.

If you can look closely, you can still see the original entrance steps, sorry I can't make the pictures bigger.

So, I had the replica sign made, based on what I believe is near enough to that actual sign.

When mum finally arrives home, I hope she loves it and it reminds her of her time in school, all those years ago.

A certain Mr. George Harrison was baptised here, and attended this school.. Born two minutes away in Arnold Grove. :ymapplause:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:00 am

Wonderful story Pete. Well done on the sign as well. :thumbsup:

Regards Mark.

muckaroon1960

Postby muckaroon1960 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:31 am

Well done Pete, a treasured memory for your Mum. :thumbsup:

Andyb

Postby Andyb » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:55 pm

Brilliant Pete and I hope your mum is fine and well , if she is like my mam , she is an old fashioned battleship and pain doesn't affect them And they just get on with life :thumbsup:

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:33 pm

They certainly do Andy.. :ymapplause:

This sign below is different in the text, but very similar to what mum remembered.

So I used most of the wording, to try and stimulate mum's memory a bit more.

When she saw this sign, she remembered the sign in her school hall, and I just hope it is as near to the original as possible.

I wonder if this was a standard sign, in schools all over Great Britain?