V1 tally 75 years ago

muckaroon1960

V1 tally 75 years ago

Postby muckaroon1960 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:56 am

Just read this on WW2 History about today's date 75 years ago:

"In Britain, the Suffolk and Essex coastal batteries, who were now in place and fully operational, brought down a total of 25 V-1 flying bombs between the previous night and this night."

https://ww2db.com/event/today/

That's incredible, we usually see footage of the odd V1 being shot down or reaching its target but to shoot down 25 over 2 nights!

But that amount is nothing as the Germans launched approx 10,500 V1's from June 1944 with 8800 being ramp launched and the rest launched by air.
Someone I worked with years ago commented that the war tunnels in Jersey weren't built as an underground hospital...that's BS,,,they were originally built for the V1 & V2's. And the number of V2's being sent over the channel were 1400!

There are those quick to criticise the allied bombing campaign when Britain was subjected to these indiscriminate weapons of terror!

Here's one shot down by the RAF. I believe the pilot was Polish of the 308 City of Krakow Squadron. :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Devils Bank

Re: V1 tally 75 years ago

Postby The Devils Bank » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:08 am

We don't realise how many V1's were sent from Europe.

Thousands of them. :eek:

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:38 pm

Certainly agree on that Pete, these were even reaching my home town of Grantham Lincs - not many made it up there but they have been recorded as dropping. Its all quiet on these as the rocket technology was taken to the USA - in my humble opinion.

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:25 pm

Werner Von Braun was behind the technology of the era, the first guided missiles.

V1 and V2 are the first of their type, but, it was too little too late.

The RAF, blew the testing sites at Peenemünde to smithereens.

At the war's end, Von Braun was taken to the USA very quickly, as the Russians were after him too.

Not long later, a man was on the moon..

Christopher Ailsby

Postby Christopher Ailsby » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:16 pm

My Mother, recalled hearing a "Dodel Bug" flying over Whittlesey, by Peterborough, saying it made a "Fut Fut" sound and had flame from its reare. She thought at the time it was a fighter coming down. This could have been one on its way to Granthem.