Railway Service Badges

muckaroon1960

Railway Service Badges

Postby muckaroon1960 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:52 pm

Issued during WW2 to train drivers and railway workers. The 4 railway companies represented here are Southern, Great Western, London & North Eastern and London Midland Scottish. Made by Fattorini of Birmingham and all individually numbered. The railways were worn out after the end of the war due to the amount of goods and people especially military moved around the UK during WW2 and due to lack of investment ultimately lead to the closure of a lot of branch and some main lines during the 60's (Beeching). It's often overlooked the crucial role played by the railways and the personnel who worked on them during the war to keep supplies and people moving. My Grandfather served on the railways (LMS) as a fireman then a train driver from 1916 to 1964 apart from service in the machine gun corp 1917-19.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Re: Railway Service Badges

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:14 am

Very interesting thread Paul I guess one doesn't give enough thought into the behind scenes and demands placed on infrastructure during wartime. Certainly a good reminder of that fact :thumbsup: Regards Mark.

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:52 am

What great looking badges Paul - I knew nothing of these until I read your post. Nice to see another first on Broadsword - great quality photos :thumbsup:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:42 am

Paul, are these very collectable? Regards Mark

muckaroon1960

Postby muckaroon1960 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:15 am

Tailgunnerdownunder wrote:Paul, are these very collectable? Regards Mark

They are to me :lol: Seriously though I'd have thought yes especially if you collect Railwayania or Militaria. There are WW1 railway badges which are a lot rarer due to the amount of railway companies operating during that period and these are round and enamelled with a Kings Crown on top. Don't have any WW1 in my collection...yet!

As a footnote to these, the first one I bought was the LNER from a car boot sale. The seller informing me that the badge was her grandfathers service badge...my reply "Why are you selling your Grandfathers Badge?" I wish I could have had my grandfathers LMS badge. Some people...selling off their family history [-x ..their choice I suppose, or their loss our gain!

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:15 pm

Indeed Paul. That's how us as collectors gather many of the items that we do. Most of the time we don't get to know the source or original owner but if we do it does make you wonder about the value some people have for their families heirlooms. Regards Mark