Got this thing about goggles.....

Tailgunnerdownunder

Got this thing about goggles.....

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:41 am

I'm not really a collector of fieldgear as such. If I was I think the two items most associated with the German solider of WW2 would be the helmet and gas mask canister. Don't have the gas mask canister but do have a helmet or 10. Number one accessory for the helmet would be the humble eye goggles, of which I have several. Don't know what it is about them but I do have a weakness for a nice well used set of goggles. I will post them here as I get the chance but for now I have a nice pair of goggles to show you. Hope you like them as much as I do :thumbsup:

Regards Mark.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Re: Got this thing about goggles.....

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:56 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:26 pm

I know nothing about these, but they do look great on that helmet :thumbsup:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:08 pm

Thanks for the thumbs up on the helmet and goggles Dave much appreciated. Not much to really know about goggles except what country wore what style as most had their own type. These are standard Wehrmacht issue but not the only style worn. I will show several others later on. I have added some more photo's along with several spare lens sets. :thumbsup:

Regards Mark.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:51 am

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:24 pm

Here is another style of goggle commonly used by the Wehrmacht in WW2. They were constructed of leather as is the case with this one or also made from vinyl. They can come in different finishes from brown leather to a light tan and a "Luftwaffe" blue. There may be more but those are examples you will commonly see. The lens's are interchangeable via a ring that lifts up on each lens frame which allows the lens to be removed and replaced. They were supplied with various types from clear to tinted depending on their intended use.They were adjustable via a sliding buckle attached to an elastic strap. They make for a great addition to a cap or helmet display and can be still easily found for sale. This one I purchased complete with the carry pouch and I have seen an instruction leaflet but unfortunately I don't have one to show you.

Regards Mark.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:36 pm

85ronnies

Postby 85ronnies » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:50 pm

thanks for sharing Mark :thumbsup: :thumbsup: is that a real snow cammo you have there mate B-) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:01 pm

85ronnies wrote:thanks for sharing Mark :thumbsup: :thumbsup: is that a real snow cammo you have there mate B-) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi Ronnie, thanks mate, appreciate your interest :thumbsup: Gee I hope so mate as these snow cammo's don't come cheap but they can be a nightmare to confirm if they are period done or post war. There is a story to this helmet which I will share when I feature it in the helmet forum soon. :smile:

Regards Mark.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:47 pm

This particular set of goggles are not leather but made from a vinyl material. They are also in a sand or light beige colour, perhaps for use in a tropical area. These are in almost perfect condition with full elasticity in the adjustable headband with tinted lenses.

Regards Mark.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:29 am

This particular pair are very similar to the second set I have shown. Leather construction, brown colour but have seen quite a deal of use. In fact one of the lenses is cracked. I have a replacement but decided to leave it as is. Just had to find the right helmet to match it up with. :thumbsup:

Regards Mark.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:41 am

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:15 am

Classic photograph of them in use :thumbsup:

Regards Mark.

pablo10

Postby pablo10 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:14 pm

very nice, I like them a lot and do you know if any of them came together?

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:40 am

pablo10 wrote:very nice, I like them a lot and do you know if any of them came together?

No Pablo each were bought at different times to put on the helmet. They work with the helmets nicely and I'm sure I'm not the only person that does this. Worth looking into for your collection Pablo :thumbsup: Regards Mark.

pablo10

Postby pablo10 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:18 am

Mark,
thank you and you are correct they look great, ill put up the next lid and if you see the correct type goggles for it and please do inform me as I'm like you-they look very cool on helmets. now to post the next lid :)

EwanS

Postby EwanS » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:20 am

very nice mate , you have an addiction! :mrgreen:

they do look nice on a lid!!!

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:04 pm

EwanS wrote:very nice mate , you have an addiction! :mrgreen:

they do look nice on a lid!!!

Thanks Ewan, addiction? yes indeed :thumbsup: Actually I thought addition was a requirement to be accepted as a member of Broadsword :lol:

Regards Mark.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:08 pm

pablo10 wrote:Mark,
thank you and you are correct they look great, ill put up the next lid and if you see the correct type goggles for it and please do inform me as I'm like you-they look very cool on helmets. now to post the next lid :)

For sure will do Pablo :thumbsup:

Regards Mark.

pablo10

Postby pablo10 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:37 pm

yep once a collector always a collector, I said to others its in our D.n.a to collect, we collectors always collect some thing and I know I have from a kid.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:44 am

A few weeks back I did a presentation on a 101st Airborne MP helmet in the helmet forum of Broadsword. The helmet featured a pair of goggles which I added to the helmet and thought they are worth a mention here. U.S Army issue of course dated 1944. I bought them in pretty much mint condition as is the issue box which is quite sturdy with a spare set of lens's. Not rare but a good example to have and sets the helmet off nicely :thumbsup:

Regards Mark.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:53 am

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:59 am

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:01 pm

Judging by the viewing numbers and comments, interest in this thread is low. However please bare with me one last time on the subject :smile:
Here we have a packet of 'disposable' goggles that are fairly common British issue. I say that because I think you can still buy them today somewhere on the web. So they must have made a lot of them. Common issue nothing special right?
Except that one famous General later to become a Field Marshall made them his own, and the story goes something like this. During the North African campaign the Germans took possession of an Allied supply truck which among other things contained a number of boxes of British issue goggles for use in the African desert. A certain high ranking German officer took some as he thought they were a very useful item fighting in desert conditions. Over the period of the campaign he was photographed wearing them many times. Consequently, despite them being of British issue they will always be known as 'Rommel's goggles' :thumbsup:

Regards Mark.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:05 pm

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:14 pm

As used by Rommel...

muckaroon1960

Postby muckaroon1960 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:25 pm

Great thread Mark, loving your work. You should have a caption competition for the picture of Rommel having a drink in the car :lol:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:01 am

Thank you Paul. I think that is a great idea :thumbsup: I will start it in the Broadsword Pub forum.

Regards Mark.