M42 German Helmet with Waffen SS Helmet Cover.

Tailgunnerdownunder

M42 German Helmet with Waffen SS Helmet Cover.

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:25 am

What we have here is a classic example of a late war M42 German helmet. The manufacturer was ET-Eisenhutten-Thale but with the later change stamp of ckL. Size 66. Due to the batch number which is difficult to read the second digit ( I think it reads 1) 3171, I believe this helmet was made in 1943. The maker and size stamp is located above the batch number. It is believed that the change from side to rear location of these stamps started in early 1943. It is also believed that each batch was approximately 500 units. This particular batch (3171) was allocated in several stages as needed. First group from this batch lot was single decal Heer therefore done before the August ceasing of decal application. The second was ET-SS single decal which application of SS decals continued to November of 1943. This helmet was the final release of batch 3171, estimated to have been finished in 1944 or early 45. Hence no decal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Re: M42 German Helmet with Waffen SS Helmet Cover.

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:49 am

Since it may have taken more than a year to complete the final allocation of batch 3171 you can see that is possible to find helmets with the same lot or batch number but with different decals or if completed after the ceasing of decal application, no decals at all. This makes the use of batch/lot numbers an unreliable source for authenticating a particular helmet service branch and or completion dates. As in this case a helmet shell can sit for some time before being fitted out with a liner and paint etc.
This helmet has the pigskin leather liner and is nicely marked by it's previous owner. The size stamp is in black ink instead of blue, another indicator of it's relative late production.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:19 am

One of the most pleasing aspects of this helmet is the excellent condition of the dome acceptance stamp. A classic example of a late ckL stamp and as good as you could expect to find matching perfectly with other known published examples. The stamp reads: Abgennomen, Wehrmacht-Beschaffungsamt, Bekleidungs und Ausrustungs. ( Accepted, Wehrmacht- Procurement Office for Clothing and Equipment ).

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:49 am

At this stage of my personal and collecting life I am of the opinion that I will most likely never own an original Waffen SS helmet cover. I as many collectors come to realise sooner or later, there are some items that for one reason or another (financially or rarity etc) are just out of your reach. This is one for me. Original covers sell from approx $3500 US and up. There are many copies, good one's too and others made from original cloth replicating the real thing. I'm a collector that likes to sleep well at night and if I was to purchase one it would have to come from someone who I consider knowledgeable enough to trust with such a purchase. So some time ago I decided I would buy the best reproduction I could find and 'age' it myself and see if I could replicate the look of a battle worn helmet cover. This one came from a company in the US that make high quality reproductions. Many items manufactured by them have been used in movies and television series such as Band of Brothers and The Pacific. They made it and I aged it. Hope you like it :thumbsup:

Regards Mark.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:02 am

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:06 am

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:10 am

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:27 pm

With the price of genuine SS Helmets and covers, it's beyond the pockets of normal working people.. :sad:

But this set up is great and really looks the part :thumbsup:

Are those original helmet clips Mark?

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:39 am

No Pete just aged like the rest. Quite a bit of work went into these helmet covers Pete. There is a long spring sewn in the cover. It is attached at both ends, one being the helmet clip. This provided enough tension on each clip for the cover to stay attached to the helmet. Each cover was made to fit two helmet sizes. Sometimes in period photographs you might see one clip not attached. I see this as a small cover on the wrong size helmet. To think how many of these covers were just destroyed after the war and their value now. Still this one I have makes for a great display on what would have been an otherwise plain helmet :thumbsup: Regards Mark.

pablo10

Postby pablo10 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:34 am

Mark,
it looks great and id do the same as to buy a real one means more money they sense and trying to find a real one is not at all easy .

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:38 am

Thanks Pablo. Yes you could buy a very nice helmet for the price of one helmet cover. Regards Mark

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:30 am

I thought I would get this helmet out of it's box the other day and take another look at it. The best thing about having your collection packed away is you forget what you have sometimes and then 'discover' it all over again :lol: this time I thought I would take the cover off it and reverse the pattern. These covers had a Spring pattern on one side and a Autumn or as the Americans say, Fall on the other. Anyhow I reversed it and took some photos.
Hope you like them :thumbsup:

Regards Mark

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:36 am

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:26 pm

Where do you get the "covers and clips" from? :-??

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:45 am

The Devils Bank wrote:Where do you get the "covers and clips" from? :-??

Try this Pete :thumbsup:

https://www.smwholesaleusa.com/

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:57 pm

Cheers Mate :thumbsup:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:21 am

No worries Pete. Actually there's a bit of stuff on their site for Paul as well. Did you see the tanker jacket that was aged as an extra for Brad Pitt's character that wasn't used. Cool item that :thumbsup: Regards Mark

Andyb

Postby Andyb » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:09 am

Fantastic Post Mark and have to congratulate you on the super aged sexy camo , wether it’s real or not, it has certainly transformed the helmet and defo looks fantastic :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:53 am

Thanks for your feedback Andy, as always much appreciated mate :thumbsup: Regards Mark

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:02 pm

Got a "cover" today.. just needs beating up a bit.. :grin:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:06 pm

The Devils Bank wrote:Got a "cover" today.. just needs beating up a bit.. :grin:

Where from Pete? Looking forward to seeing it :thumbsup: Regards Mark

Andyb

Postby Andyb » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:27 am

Tea bags is always a good way to age materials , =)) =)) seriously it is though :thumbsup: and use them first

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:24 am

Andyb wrote:Tea bags is always a good way to age materials , =)) =)) seriously it is though :thumbsup: and use them first

Correct Andy. In fact some of those stains you see are from the odd tea bag. Dilmar if I remember correctly =)) Regards Mark.

Andyb

Postby Andyb » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:43 am

You seriously need some proper Yorkshire Tea to drink and it leaves a proper stain =)) =)) =)

Can’t get over what a great job you have done :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:37 pm

Can't help thinking that at the moment it won't fool those collectors in the know about these covers but give it 40 or 50 years to 'mature ' and I can see some poor bugger paying big coin for it. :???: Regards Mark