Japanese lamp

Tailgunnerdownunder

Japanese lamp

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:10 am

I was given this as a kid by my great uncle who told me that it was brought back from the war. I describe it as a lamp of sorts that was either carried on a belt or a strap presumably around the neck. It has the Naval Anchor symbol on the lid with a compartment for the light and cord and also a spot for the battery. The interesting thing is that on one side it has the manufacturers name (Yuasa) written in English? I remember seeing only one other example which was featured on the WAF a couple of years ago. This one originally was covered in a nickle finish but now much of the finish has worn off leaving the brass showing underneath.
As far as I have seen this is not a very common item. Has anyone seen one before or can add to it's description? Any information would be much appreciated.
Meanwhile I hope you like it :thumbsup:

Regards Mark.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Re: Japanese lamp

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:14 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:20 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:28 pm

Hi Mark.

It does appear that the cylindrical battery is missing from the top compartment, maybe this battery was rechargable. I am guessing one possible use would be for onboard inspections where a flexible cable would be neccessary. Below a couple of paragraphs from wikipedia:

Yuasa

In 1909, Shichizaemon Yuasa established Yuasa Iron Works to modernize the family business, founded in 1666 as a charcoal trading business. Yuasa Iron Works began producing storage batteries in 1915, and three years later Yuasa Storage Battery Co., Ltd was established. Soon after, Yuasa Storage Battery Co., Ltd began making Japan's first automotive batteries. In 1925, Yuasa began making dry cells, and in 1941 they began making alkaline cells. The dry battery business was later spun off into Yuasa Dry Battery Co., Ltd, which later merged back into Yuasa Storage Battery Co., Ltd to form Yuasa Battery Co, Ltd, later renamed to Yuasa Corporation.

GS

In 1904, Genzo Shimadzu (b. 1869 d. 1951) developed a high-capacity lead-acid battery to supply backup power to his factory during outages of Kyoto's then unreliable power grid. The Japanese navy purchased 400 units of this battery. Shimadzu established Japan Storage Battery Co., Ltd in 1917 and began producing automotive batteries in 1919. In 1938 they began producing alkaline batteries and in 1940 they began making high-pressure mercury lamps.

GS was established in 1917 and is an abbreviation comprising the initials of Genzou Shimadzu (the founder's name of Japan Storage Battery). He was also the founder of Shimadzu Corporation.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:38 am

Thanks Dave for providing great detailed information on the manufacturer. Interesting reading and learnt a bit more :thumbsup: Regards Mark.

muckaroon1960

Postby muckaroon1960 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:46 pm

As there's English wording and as far as I can tell from the pictures no Japanese kanji, do you suppose this is an export piece? All the same a very rare and unusual item. :thumbsup:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:14 pm

muckaroon1960 wrote:As there's English wording and as far as I can tell from the pictures no Japanese kanji, do you suppose this is an export piece? All the same a very rare and unusual item. :thumbsup:

Paul just check the second photo enlarge it and look at the bottom. Regards Mark

muckaroon1960

Postby muckaroon1960 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:37 pm

Tailgunnerdownunder wrote:
muckaroon1960 wrote:As there's English wording and as far as I can tell from the pictures no Japanese kanji, do you suppose this is an export piece? All the same a very rare and unusual item. :thumbsup:

Paul just check the second photo enlarge it and look at the bottom. Regards Mark

Got it Mark, couldn't see them. Any ideas as to the translation?

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:49 am

muckaroon1960 wrote:
Tailgunnerdownunder wrote:

Got it Mark, couldn't see them. Any ideas as to the translation?

Not at this stage Paul. Thinking it may provide a clue to its origin though. Hoping to see another somewhere that someone knows a bit more than myself. Having said that, so far only seen one and they didn't seem to know either. Regards Mark.