Private 16368 J H Dyer Royal Warwckshire Regiment

muckaroon1960

Private 16368 J H Dyer Royal Warwckshire Regiment

Postby muckaroon1960 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:08 pm

Killed in Action at the Battle of Bazentin 14th July 1916 Private 16368 Joseph "Harold" Dyer Aged 21 Royal Warwickshire Regiment. This is my wife's Great Uncle who came from Stretton on Fosse, Warwickshire. I have access to his medals and remembrance Penny which I have uploaded along with family details and a letter sent from his friend a Pte D Humphries who served with "Harold" who was quite upset at losing his best friend and both had said they would write to their respective parents if either of them were killed. The sadness of this story is that Harold was engaged to a young girl (name of Hartwell) from Shipston on Stour who died of Spanish Flu in 1919. Also the day after the family received the letter from Pte Humphries, Arthur Dyer, Harold's brother and my Wife's Grandfather received his call up papers which led to his Father having a heart attack which thankfully he survived. One can't imagine the sense of loss only for another son to be called up to fight. Harold has no known Grave and is remembered at Thiepval and his picture is also on the wall of the missing at the visitors centre.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by muckaroon1960 on Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

muckaroon1960

Re: Private 16368 J H Dyer Royal Warwckshire Regiment

Postby muckaroon1960 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:09 pm

Pictures I took at Bazentin a few years ago when I visited the Somme and Thiepval.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

muckaroon1960

Postby muckaroon1960 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:11 pm

More information:
Private, 16368, 2nd Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment
Died 14th July 1916, aged 21
Born in Stretton-on-Fosse, Warwickshire.
Son of Joseph and Emily Dyer (nee Cook), of Stretton-on-Fosse, Warwickshire. Joseph was a hurdle maker. They had at least six children:
• Joseph Algernon Dyer (b. 1887)
• Emily Elsie Dyer (b. 1889)
• Mary Ann Alice Dyer (b. 1891)
• Amelia Kate Dyer (b. 1892)
• Joseph Harold Dyer (b. 1895)
• Alfred George Dyer (b. 1897)
Resident of Stretton-on-Fosse, Warwickshire.
Enlisted at Evesham, Warwickshire.
Killed near Bazentin.

muckaroon1960

Postby muckaroon1960 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:13 pm

Copy of letter from Pte D Humphries. I have also seen the original which was written in pencil.

Dear Mrs Dyer,
It is with regret that I am writing this to tell you that Harold is killed he was killed last Friday July 14th while we were advancing . I cannot say how much it has hurt me for he was a dear good chap & we were like two brothers. I cannot express my thoughts hardly for no one will ever know how I feel it. Dear Mrs Dyer I thought it would be much better for me to write & let you know because you might not hear from the war office for a week or two & we promised each other if one of us got killed we would write & I being with him always I know more about it than anyone else but he was loved by all who knew him & they all say how much they feel it, him having being killed. I am glad to say he never suffered any pain, death must have been instant although I was not close to him at the time I thought he was still coming on, for the last time I saw him he was quite alright, it must have been a piece of shell that hit him or a sniper that killed him with a bullet, but however he is at rest & he was prepared for the right place & that is more than a great many can say. Please accept my sympathy and I am more than sorry we are parted like that for it has cut me terrible. I shall never forget him he was the best pal I ever had or ever will have & as long as I live he will remain in my memory. Of course we never know one minute to another when we are going under so it is best to be prepared for death for we never know when God is going to call us & now my dearest pal is gone it makes me as if I don’t care whether I go under or not & now I must close & hope you will bear your deep sorrow bravely.
I am your sincere friend,
D Humphries.

Lest we Forget.....

muckaroon1960

Postby muckaroon1960 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:23 pm

Left in remembrance at Thiepval.....

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:52 pm

Hey Mucka - what a fantastic post, you have everything here - full history :thumbsup: I really want to thank you for the great effort you have made to put this entire post together. Private Dyer number 16368, another man fallen and forgotten, but not forgotten to your great post.

Thanks Mucka - again I appreciate your efforts for our forum. I am very busy at the moment, but hopefully very shortly I will have something very special to post - its a chasing waiting game at present :wink:

Cheers

Dave.

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:35 pm

Just read through the post again - 21 years old, how many others of this age and younger died in this conflict and others. Makes you think and I cant find the words at the moment, but I am certainly one of the lucky generations.

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:28 pm

Very sad tale indeed. :(

muckaroon1960

Postby muckaroon1960 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:07 pm

Memorial to those killed in WW1 at St Peter's Church Stretton on Fosse. "Harold" is 3rd from top.

muckaroon1960

Postby muckaroon1960 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:10 pm

Just been made custodian of Joseph Harold's Medals and commemorative plaque thanks to my Wife's Auntie. She is (hopefully) also going to give me his roll of honour scroll and original picture along with the original letter from Pte Humphries.
Once all sorted I will frame as much as I can and educate the kids (grown ups) that these items are part of their family history and need to be kept as family heirlooms. :thumbsup:

muckaroon1960

Postby muckaroon1960 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:25 pm

This very flag was first flown on VE day 1945 by the family of Pte J H Dyer, it flies today 101 years after his death at the Battle of Bazentin, the Somme, France.

Christopher Ailsby

Postby Christopher Ailsby » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:40 pm

Great work, super thread. Thank you for the time and trouble.

Christopher

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:20 pm

Perfect post - you do so much for our forum, always informative and total history complete - thanks on behalf of all at Broadsword. Its time you were given the chance to moderate on our forum, give me a few days and I will send you a PM. Cheers Dave H.

muckaroon1960

Postby muckaroon1960 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:14 pm

Dave_Holden wrote:Perfect post - you do so much for our forum, always informative and total history complete - thanks on behalf of all at Broadsword. Its time you were given the chance to moderate on our forum, give me a few days and I will send you a PM. Cheers Dave H.

Thank You Dave, much appreciated. I think sometimes the research is all part of the thrill of the chase. Finding out information to back up any story especially if its family related plus original pictures, medals and personal items and then being able to share this with other like minded people and tell a story that won't be forgotten.
On reflection I dare say there are thousands of untold stories and lost memories from WW1 & WW2. Items lost to the local tip or locked away somewhere in an old box or cupboard waiting to be discovered, one of the reasons I go to car boots to try to find this stuff.

You do sometimes question why we collect and I think the answer is because its all we have left to hold onto these memories and a link to these era's and any source or minute piece of information, any interest can set you off on a journey of discovery. To be able to hold an artefact of any description from history is sometimes mind blowing. I've played Golf, shot Clay Pigeons, caught Fish even played Football but this is by far the best and longest and sometimes most expensive hobby I've ever had but worth it for the experience and education. :thumbsup:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:36 pm

Congratulations and well done Paul on this thread really 1st Class, and not for the first time either. Regards Mark.

muckaroon1960

Postby muckaroon1960 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:26 pm

Lest we forget....flying the flag again today in memory of Harold.

resistanceunit

Postby resistanceunit » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:20 pm

Great post Mucka, I must have missed this first time round.. You're very lucky to have this history, it's all been lost in my family. Treasure it mate..!

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:42 pm

Well done Paul. Your update has made me re-read your thread again which is what it's all about isn't it? Remembering. Regards Mark.

Christopher Ailsby

Postby Christopher Ailsby » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:33 am

Paul - great work

Christopher