Silver Dish

Christopher Ailsby

Silver Dish

Postby Christopher Ailsby » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:16 pm

This is a rememberance piece. The Coin is a Hannover and Brunswick piece. This was a good luck item that was carried by Mr Lamkey, he was a taylor in Savil Rowe in the late Victorian and Edwardian time. In those "far off Days" accounts were setteled on a yearly basis. Mr Lamkey got a letter from one of his major clients in Berlin, informing him he was dieing of cancer and would Mr Lamkey please come so he could settle his account. Mr Lamkey duely departed for Berlin arriving in early August,, account settled but war broke out. A Patriotic German he joined the "coloures". Fought on the Russian front were he wone the Iron Cross second and first class. He also had the black wound Badge. His son in London joined the Middlesex Regiment, fought in France, continued in the Army for 25 years. His son Ted, visited his Grandfather in Germany in Hannover Brunswick, even joined the Hitler Youth. Come the Second World War joined the Navy, subsequently went to the Army. His cousin joined the German Navy, was taken prisoner, ended up in the Bexley Heath region. Believe it or not, his uncle and Arnt, Teds Mother and Father lived near by. So when parole was granted he would go and visit Aunty and Ucle on a Sunday for tea. Ted had his Grandfathers Medals, Fathers and his cousins Destroyer Badge. When he died, he had no children he left me the family grouping and the coin, that he had as a good luck piece. In memory of him I had the silver dish made and the coin set in the middle. This a custome in Germany to have coins so mounted. The interesting thing is that the coin is from the time that Hannover and Brunswick were part of the British Crown, Good old George the 4th.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Devils Bank

Re: Silver Dish

Postby The Devils Bank » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:24 pm

Very interesting Christopher.

It just goes to show, that in war, we could end up fighting your own family..

Then, we could go round for afternoon tea, to other family members, if captured.. =))

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:55 pm

Fascinating post Chris and you are correct coins mounted onto silver plates and boxes is a custom in Germany. This is a great piece you have and the history adds to it and makes this a very special item. Thanks for sharing.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:43 pm

What a wonderful piece of history Christopher.

Regards Mark

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:45 am

Keeping on the coin theme in Germany and I dont want to muscle in on your post Chris, below is a nice silver box from the TR era with am inset of a very old coin from ancient Greece:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Christopher Ailsby

Postby Christopher Ailsby » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:06 am

Dave a VERY nice piece. The use of Greck coin is typical with the interest of the German Antique world. Third Reich teams were employed in searching for the Anchents, they made some astounding finds. If my mind serves me well the most important were brought back to Germany and displayed in Munich.

Christopher Ailsby

Postby Christopher Ailsby » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:12 am

Silver Dish with Coin - Marie Turaser Taller 1780 and a Silver Dish with Hamburg 3 Mark Coin 1908 - It is interesting, is the Taller a fake? These were first struck in 1780 and have been minted on and off to the present day, with the Date 1780. They have been used in the Middle East as trading coins. The one in the dish is from the period of the First World War. Hard to date precisely. The silver mark is a Hand screw press crescent mood and imperial crown 830 S 7575 III.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:24 am

My congratulations Christopher certainly some nice pieces you have there. Great to have the chance to see them.

Regards Mark

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:50 pm

Hi Chris.

Not sure on the 1780 piece as the hair on the face is lacking a little detail. But whatever these dishes look fantastic and really great pieces to display - I love these silver dishes and I wish I had more in my collection. Another nice piece below and sorry again I dont want to hijack your post - last one honest :smile:

Christopher Ailsby

Postby Christopher Ailsby » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:13 pm

Dave you are right on the hair. However this is the problem with these pieces. They have been minted since 1780 until today. They all bear the same date. 1780. The piece in the dish is "original" what date of minting is anyones guess. My thought is between the wars. It has been polished in situe, so shows the wear on the obverse and not the reverse. Also the pieces is proud in the dish while slightly resesed on the reverse. The wear would indicate some years of cleaning.

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:50 pm

Really nice pieces Chris - I love these silver items, superb indeed :thumbsup:

mloppkit

Postby mloppkit » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:45 am

Amazing pieces, really great to see,

Cheers,
Michael

Christopher Ailsby

Postby Christopher Ailsby » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:28 pm

Another, this is Mexican, with the Azteck feel.

Christopher Ailsby

Re:Silver Box

Postby Christopher Ailsby » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:30 pm

A period German Cigy box. The engraving is a mystery to me. Again I think a 1920's piece.

Christopher Ailsby

Re:Hermann with his personal boat the Carin II

Postby Christopher Ailsby » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:33 pm

Hermann with his personal boat the Carin II, THIS IS PART OF THE SILVER FROM THE BOAT. AS THEY SAY IN THE TRADE,"CLOSE UP AND PERSONAL".

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:13 pm

Fantastic stuff Chris - amazing pieces. A couple of years back I had a chance to get hold of a tea strainer from the Carin but I messed about and lost out.

One thing worth remembering as I am sure you know is that all of these period silver pieces were hand-made by craftsman. That aztec themed piece you have is a true piece of art, it would be hard to make this today unless you spent a lot of cash.

Great items Chris.