German Radio - Volksempfänger VE301

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

German Radio - Volksempfänger VE301

Postby Dave_Holden » Thu May 02, 2019 1:19 pm

Here is something a bit unusual.

The Volksempfanger ("people's receiver") was developed by engineer Otto Griessing at the request of Nazi Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels. The distinctive Bakelite cabinet was the work of the architect and industrial designer Walter Maria Kersting.

The purpose of the Volksempfanger-program was to make radio reception technology affordable to the general public. Joseph Goebbels realized the great propaganda potential of this relatively new medium and thus considered widespread availability of receivers highly important. The original Volksempfänger VE301 model was presented on August 18, 1933, at the 10 Grosse Deutsche Funkausstellung in Berlin. The VE301 was available at a readily affordable price of 76 Reichmarks (equivalent to two weeks' average salary).

Much has been said about the efficiency of the Volksempfanger as a propaganda tool. Most famously, Hitler's architect and Minister for Armaments and War Production, Albert Speer, said in his final speech at the Nuremberg trials:

"Hitler's dictatorship differed in one fundamental point from all its predecessors in history. His was the first dictatorship in the present period of modern technical development, a dictatorship which made the complete use of all technical means for domination of its own country. Through technical devices like the radio and loudspeaker, 80 million people were deprived of independent thought. It was thereby possible to subject them to the will of one man"

The radio measures 390 mm X 280 mm X 160 mm, the Bakelite cabinet is completely undamaged and in superb condition. All switches, dials and sockets are intact and original to cabinet. The dials turn freely and adjust the frequency dial as originally designed. The back panel is secure and all fixing screws are present. The power cord is present and in good condition and original to the radio. The Bakelite plug is in excellent shape with no cracks or chips.

Internal of the radio, although I am no electronic expert, does appear to be complete and all parts present. The valves look in excellent shape, the speaker appears undamaged, incredible after 80+ years. The radio is quiet heavy at about 4 klgs estimated.

It would be great to get this working but I have no idea on what frequency these worked.

Thanks for looking :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Devils Bank

Re: German Radio - Volksempfänger VE301

Postby The Devils Bank » Thu May 02, 2019 4:07 pm

I had one a few years ago Dave, and tried to get it working again..

It was too expensive mate, and the cost?

You wouldn't get back, if you sell it in the future.

Almost as much as the radio itself :((

Lovely radios.. :thumbsup:

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Thu May 02, 2019 4:34 pm

I will keep that in mind Pete. They do look great and if I decide to keep it (its on War-Den at moment), I might take out the insides and replace for a modern set-up and have it on my sideboard - nice talking piece :thumbsup:

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Thu May 02, 2019 9:25 pm

Amazing condition Dave. Detailed photos really gives a great insight into these radios. Appreciate the opportunity to not only seeing an example but also what makes them work. Would be a shame not to keep it intact after all these years and would be of great interest not only to militaria collectors but also collectors of radios as well. If you decide to sell might be worth placing it where that type of collector would see it. Very interesting thread :thumbsup: Regards Mark

Andyb

Postby Andyb » Sat May 04, 2019 9:16 am

That is old and lovely, iam sure you could find someone that could get it working without it costing a small fortune :thumbsup:

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Sat May 04, 2019 7:22 pm

"I am sure you could find someone that could get it working without it costing a small fortune"..

When I tried to get my radio sorted, there were only two options:

1, fix/repair it with original parts (if you can get them?).

2, Convert it to todays radio standards - that takes time and money. ) if you can find some one to do it?

With this particular radio, it is almost intact parts wise, may be it could be repaired if those parts are still working?

But as I say, it's time and money. £200/£300.

The cost of repair is more than the price of the radio, as it stands now.