Banner Hill Camp.

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Banner Hill Camp.

Postby Dave_Holden » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:21 pm

Hello all.

Out and about in the countryside again today and came across this place totally by luck.

Located to the north of Warwick, near the peaceful village of Leek Wootton, Banner Hill Camp was one of four heavy gun positions defending Coventry and Birmingham from the threat of the Luftwaffe during the Second World War.

Behind the gun-emplacements there used to be a German POW camp. The entire area has no entry and private property signs up, but I will visit very early one day and get a few more pictures. I have no idea if there is anything left of the POW camp as according to the map its behind the trees. Certainly would be interesting to take a look even if only the foundations are left:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Devils Bank

Re: Banner Hill Camp.

Postby The Devils Bank » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:42 pm

Sad really Dave, that place has the makings of a nice little interesting museum. :thumbsup:

Pity they couldn't find a correct AA gun and do out a gun pit out, and redevelop the POW area.

Another historical site lost in time. :(

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:51 pm

Yes Pete agreed, it would make a very interesting visit, I will certainly get a better look later.

Can you imagine how busy the AA that used to be here were. Coventry was pretty much flattened in the early days of WW2. I remember my Dad telling me that Coventry could be seen burning from 50 miles away.

Andyb

Postby Andyb » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:05 pm

Great photos Dave , I would love to have a rummage through there and yes unfortunately it will be lost to time