Shellmex BP petrol can restoration

muckaroon1960

Shellmex BP petrol can restoration

Postby muckaroon1960 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:49 am

I have a small collection of Automobilia (in my shed) and couldn't resist this pick up from the local car boot. 2 gallon Shellmex BP petrol can dated August 1937. It was extremely dirty, so I degreased and cleaned it, then stripped all the rust off. There were traces of Red paint near the base so I colour matched as close as I could and resprayed but not over painted as I didn't want the can to look too new. Further research has shown that these earlier cans were Red in colour for petrol and Black for diesel (Green is used more commonly now for unleaded).
15 pence for 2 gallons, I'll have some of that! In December 1937 petrol in the UK was priced at 1 shilling & 7 old pence (1s/7d) per gallon. You do see these cans with the wording and the shell symbol painted individually but is this how these cans were first issued? I'm not 100% sure, so happy to leave as is and it would require a steadier hand than mind to complete.
Pictures show post clean and degrease and repaint. :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Re: Shellmex BP petrol can restoration

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:50 am

Nice :thumbsup:

Regards Mark

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:04 pm

That's really nice Paul, great to see. Would fit well with an old classic car. I intend to go to a few boot sales when back in UK. We will be living in Nuneaton for a couple of years so handy being central.

muckaroon1960

Postby muckaroon1960 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:11 pm

Dave_Holden wrote:That's really nice Paul, great to see. Would fit well with an old classic car. I intend to go to a few boot sales when back in UK. We will be living in Nuneaton for a couple of years so handy being central.

Get up and at em Dave, there's still bargains to be had. The petrol can was £12 (did try some negotiating but no luck). I also have a 1942 WD marked petrol can as well same size, bargain at £10. Bought from Malvern flea market a couple of years ago. These were also used as condensate cans for the Vickers machine Gun.
"Thars Gold in them thair boot markets!" :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:59 pm

Any oil, petrol cans are now becoming very popular.

I'm sure there are some very rare types out there, just waiting to be found.

Nice restoration, it's come out very nicely. :ymapplause: